Rosina Bignall has a Master’s Degree in Computer Science. Having worked in the field for several years, she does some consulting on database and software design and implementation. Below you can find (a rather old version of) her CV (PDF version) – updates coming soon (hopefully :).
She previously volunteered her time as head trainer and Executive Director of Disability Assistance Dogs, a non-profit organization dedicated to training service and assistance dogs for the disabled, and now serves as advisor to the Board of Directors. She also has started the Tamarr Memorial Fund in memory of her service dog — a private charity to raise money for the training and care of her current and future service dogs.
She has spoken at a several conferences including the Second International WWW Conference, CakeFest, the International PHP Conference, ConFoo, and php[tek].
(PDF Version) – fairly out of date, please request an updated version
A. Rosina Bignall
Phone: (347) 674-6201
Email: rosina at rosinabignall dot com
- Iowa State University Ames, IA
Certificate of Nonprofit Management 2007
- Brigham Young University Provo, UT
Master of Science in Computer Science, December 1996
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Minor in Mathematics, August 1991
Thesis: Heuristic Path Analysis of Accesses to a World Wide Web Site
GPA: 3.47 (overall), 3.78 (Master’s degree)
- Ricks College Rexburg, ID
Associate in Arts and Sciences in Computer Science April 1989
Associate in Arts and Sciences in Mathematics April 1989
- Languages: English, German, American Sign Language
- Operating Systems: Linux (Redhat Enterprise Linux, Debian, SUSE, Kubuntu, Fedora), Mac OS, UNIX (several variants), Windows 98/2000/XP, VM, OS/400
- Computer Languages: C, C++, HTML, Perl LATEX, UNIX Shells, Paradox, Pascal,Fortran, SQL, Ruby, PHP, Scheme, APL, Ada, Various Assemblers, Lisp, PL/1
- Frameworks and CMS: Drupal, Joomla!, WordPress, Zend Framework, Ruby on Rails
- Tools and Systems: VMWare, CVS/RCS, Make, SSHD, VI, Emacs, Apache, BIND,MySQL, NFS, OpenLDAP, OpenSSL, Samba
- Hardware Systems: HP 9000/7xx, DEC, AS/400, PC, Mac
- Animal Training: Service Dogs and other types of Assistance Dogs, Cats, Horses
- “Uses of Mosaic in a University Setting,” (et al), Proceedings of the Second International WWW Conference, Chicago, IL, October 1994
- “Restangular – Consuming RESTful Services properly and easily in AngularJS”, International PHP Conference Spring 2015, Berlin, Germany, 8 Jun 2015
- “Integrating AngularJS into Legacy Applications”, International PHP Conference Spring 2015, Berlin, Germany, 8 Jun 2015
- “Database Normalization for Developers”, php[tek] 2015, Chicago, IL, 21 May 2015
- “Nitty Gritty AngularJS”, php[tek] 2015, Chicago, IL, 20 May 2015
- “Database Normalization for Developers”, ConFoo 2015, Montreal, Canada, 19 Feb 2015
- “Integrating AngularJS into Legacy Applications”, ConFoo 2015, Montreal, Canada, 18 Feb 2015
- “AngularJS Fundamentals Tutorial“, CakeFest 2014, Madrid, Spain, August 24, 2014
- Referee for the 9th International Conference on Theorem Proving in Higher Order Logics, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1125: Theorem Proving in Higher Order Logics: 9th International Conference, TPHOLs ’96, Springer-Verlag, Provo, Utah,August 1996
- Referee for the 8th International Workshop on Higher Order Logic Theorem Proving and Its Applications, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 971: Higher Order Logic Theorem Proving and Its Applications, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany,September 1995
ADDITIONAL CONFERENCES ATTENDED
- php[tek] 2013, Chicago, IL, 14 May 2013 – 17 May 2013
- php[tek] 2012, Chicago, IL, 22 May 2012 – 25 May 2012
- Kiveo, LLC, Consultant, 2011-Present
Participated in project for Social and Scientific Systems, Inc. using Zend Framework and Drupal content management system. Added new functionality and modified existing functionality within Zend Framework site based on user requests. Developed enhancements for Drupal website including selecting appropriate modules, settings and integration to produce the desired content. Specified and developed integration between Zend based website and Drupal content management system. Worked with PHPUnit to develop automated testing.
- Universal Industrial Sales, Lindon, UT
Consultant, 1998-2005, March 2007-2010
Upgraded Order Entry system designed and written in Paradox.
Included modifying the database structure, forms, and program components to enhance business purposes.
- Chiropractor, Orem, UT Consultant 1995-1997
Maintained hardware and software components of their system.
Upgraded software and hardware as needed.
- Social & Scientific Systems, Inc.
Senior Software Engineer, June 2012 – Present
Add new functionality and modify existing functionality within Zend Framework site based on user requests and needs. Take lead in developing code quality and metrics standards and add automated unit testing.
- Disability Assistance Dogs Bettendorf,IA
Chief Executive Officer/Founder, December 2005-2012
Run day-to-day operations
Develop Supervised Training Program
Professionally train and place Service Dogs and other types of Assistance dogs
Work with recipients to ensure life long success with their dog
Work with board of directors
- Leader Dogs for the Blind, Inc. Rochester, MI
Apprentice Instructor, June 2000-June 2002
One-on-one training of guide dogs under limited supervision of instructor
Evaluated customer needs to correctly match guide dog teams
Effectively trained teams to work successfully together
- Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc. San Rafael, CA
Instructor Assistant, June 1999-June 2000
Maintained proper health and safety of 20 dogs
Provided proper feeding, grooming and exercise to satisfy the individual needs of the dogs
Followed all policies to monitor and maintain the high standard of cleanliness and safety set by employer
- Freedom and Independence Orem, UT
Chief Executive Officer, 1997-1999
Started and ran own company.
Computer consulting for various local businesses.
Taught dog training lessons. Helped people understand and develop the relationship between themselves and their pets.
Trained service dogs (hearing dogs, mobility assistance dogs, guide dogs, etc.).
Trained cats and other animals for performance.
Helped people reduce their taxes and protect their assets.
- Intel Corporation American Fork,UT
Software Test Engineer, January 1997-August 1997
Code level and interface level testing of the LANDesk Client Manager product
Developed test specifications including test plans, design of test cases, etc.
Implemented code for test cases where necessary and performed test cycles
Developed structure for code level tests to plug test cases into and developed a system for generating code for the test cases
- Brigham Young University Provo, UT
August 1990-December 1996
Research Assistant: Investigated the use of WWW log o/les in determining what pages are accessed and which links are followed by visitors to the site.
Webmaster: Responsible for development and maintenance of a WWW site for the Computer Science Department.
Installed and upgraded the WWW server regularly.
Built and maintained other major support software packages. Wrote several HTML forms and corresponding CGI form handlers.
Head Teaching Assistant: Supervise three other teaching assistants for the Foundations of Computer Science class.
Teaching Assistant: Assisted professor in classes ranging from 30 to 200 students with instruction, grading papers and tests, etc., provided lab support, helped students with homework and programs.
Classes: Foundations of Computer Science (CS235), Operating System (CS344, CS444, CS544), Process Control and Robotics (CS545), Database Theory (CS353, CS451, CS453), File Structures (CS351), Compiler Theory (CS431), Network Communications (CS460).
- Utah Valley State College, Orem, UT
Adjunct Faculty, January 1994-April 1994
Taught Database Theory to a class of about 30 students
Designed and developed course materials
Wrote and assigned labs, homework, and exams
- International Business Machines, AS/400 Development, Rochester, MN
Computer Programmer Intern, July 1991-December 1991
Tested APIs for the OS/400 Operating system
Continued development and maintenance of an automatic test case generator
- International Business Machines, VM Development, Endicott, New York
Computer Programmer Intern, May 1990-August 1990
Participated in development of functions in the VM Operating System.
- EG&G, Idaho National Engineering Laboratory, Idaho Falls, ID
Technical Writer May 1989-August 1989
Wrote programmer documentation for the GTRIMS software system developed by EG&G for the US Marine Corps
Assisted with reviewing and revisions of documentation for other software packages
Assisted in testing GTRIMS and other software packages
- Ricks College, Rexburg, ID
Teaching Assistant August 1987-June 1989
Assisted professors in classes of about 30 students with instruction, grading papers and tests, etc.
Supervised lab hours.
Classes: Computer Architecture and Assembly Language Programming, Pascal programming, Fortran programming, Discrete Mathematics, Data Structures, Programming Languages, etc.
- Department of Army, Rock Island Arsenal Rock Island, IL
Computer Programmer April 1987-August 1987, April 1988-August 1988
Developed and maintained small software packages in Dbase IV and QBasic
Installed and maintained software on PCs
Taught employees to use software
- Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc.
Puppy Raiser, 1997-1999
Raised puppies for the first year of their lives to prepare them to be trained and work as Guide Dogs
- ASR Training Facility (alt.starfleet.rpg)
Supervisor, April 1995-April 1996
Managed a training facility for new writers in a shared writing environment
Supervised about 20 instructors and up to 80 students in the program at any time
Hired and trained new instructors
Worked with other administrators on a board of directors to determine the direction of ASR
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Riverside, CA
Missionary, July 1992-December 1993
Served a volunteer mission
Taught people about the gospel of Jesus Christ and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
HONORS, ACHIEVEMENTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Vice President, BYU Computer Science Graduate Student Association (CSGSA) (1995-1996)
- Participated in and Volunteered with Ricks Outdoor Cooperative Handicapped Association (ROCHA) (1986-1989)
- Ricks College Honors Program.
- Received Outstanding ROCHA Service Award (1989)
- National Collegiate Computer Science Award (1988)
- Scholastic All-American Award (1988)
- National Collegiate Leadership Award (1988)
- Honors List (1989)
- All-American Scholar Award (1989)
- Member, Golden Key National Honor Society
- Member, Association for Computer Machinery (ACM)
- Listed in Who’s Who of Professionals